11 Cool Facts about Recycling
Did You Know…
1. The average person generates over 4 pounds of trash every day and about 1.5 tons of solid waste per year.
2. Over 75% of waste is recyclable, but we only recylce about 30% of it.
3. In 2009, Americans produced enough trash to circle the Earth 24 times.
Dear Momma Nature and Environmentally friendly, Friends and Supporters,
Dirt Fest is an all inclusive, free Earth Day celebration for Northwestern Michigan College’s dynamic student body and the larger, Northern Michigan community. Dirt Fest is a means of communicating how to get involved with a multitude of environmental issues, both locally and globally, through a dialogue with music, art and small interactive workshops.
Dirt Fest 2013 @ NMC’s Welcome Center, Sat., April 20th, 2-9pm
Dirt Fest will be a celebration filled with creative expression, that plants the seed(s) of environmental consciousness and provides the resources to help it grow.
This free festival begins at 2 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m. on Saturday, April 20th at NMC’s Welcome Center.
Musical performances by:
* Mr. B’s Joybox Express
* Billy Strings & Don Julin
* The Crane Wives
* Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys
Workshops will include:
* Community Dig & Plant (a hands on permaculture & gardening experience)
* How to Ferment Kim-chi
* Fermentation Panel Discussion
* Composting Panel Discussion
With special guest: Bay Area Recycle for Charities
In case not everyone is busy dancing or participating in one of our workshops we will also have various arts and crafts tables set up at the event for folks of all ages to take part in while the music plays.
There will also be snacks for everyone thanks to donations from our many participating local organizations!
To commence the festivities, Dirt Fest will be hosting a community bike ride, known as Tour de Traverse, in partnership with two Michigan non-profit organizations.
For information about Tour de Traverse please visit their Facebook Event Page:
We hope to see you all there!